Soybean Climate

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Inactive
      Up
      Down

Can I postpone my soybeans sowing date for a couple months to try to get better weather for it?

Illia Volha
      Keymaster
        Up
        Down

Hi,

Due to the demand of soybeans regarding bioclimatic aspects such as temperature and photoperiod, any variation of these characteristics is directly linked to morphophysiological changes in the plant during the cycle and consequently in yield.
        The adaptability range of each variety changess as it moves north or south on the globe. The closer to the equator, the smaller the amplitude of the photoperiod throughout the year. Therefore, it is important that the sowing of the crop occurs in the correct period and at the latitude adapted to that variety, so that the plant can achieve its maximum production in both the vegetative and reproductive phases. An incompatibility between the variety’s adaptation range with a specific region or weather will result in the reduction of plant size, consequently presenting a smaller number of nodes/pods/grains. In addition, because it is a plant very sensitive to photoperiod, sowing outside the optimal range will cause soybeans to have lower growth potential. For example, when changing the range of a given soybean variety not adapted to high latitudes, its vegetative period will extend greatly, since the ambient photoperiod is longer than the critical photoperiod, causing the plant to spend a lot of energy to produce leaves, directing less energy to the grains. Other problems that can be generated with sowing at the wrong time would be a greater attack of pests, diseases and low water availability, directly impacting grain yield.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Let's save the future together

Our goal is to pass on experience of eco-responsible farming
      to new generations of agronomists to fight climate change together.

Copyright © 2022 I-Plant Nutrition. All rights reserved