Dissolved Urea as a effective application

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Inactive
      Up
      Down

Hello…Can I use dissolved urea for crop drenching, row by row? I grow legumes for leaf harvest i.e. I don’t wait for flowering or pods formation thus I do high density populations in trenches/furrows. If urea can be used (I know it can be used for foliar spray) what ratios in 16L/20L water knapsacks?

Anonymous
      Inactive
        Up
        Down

Urea has around 46% of N and can be used in a foliar application with a concentration of less than 1%. In your case for example if you want to make a foliar spray 0.5% concentrated you have to dissolve 80grams of Urea in your 16L knapsack or 100grams if in 20L and of course avoid applications in midday, better in the afternoon-evening to avoid leaf burn.

Not sure how you grow this crop and what do you sell, but remember that all the legumes can go in symbiosis with the rhizobium bacteria which basically helps them to fix the atmospheric nitrogen into their root nodules for their nutrition. After you harvest, a large amount of fixed nitrogen remains in the soil which helps for future cultivations. But if you apply nitrogen in large quantities, this process is almost stopped as the plants feel less need to run this bacterial symbiosis as they have already the N needed. You can even buy and inoculate your seeds with Rhizobium to speed up the process.
        Anyway, just a thing to keep in mind.

Anonymous
        Inactive
          Up
          Down

Urea has around 46% of N and can be used in a foliar application with a concentration of less than 1%. In your case for example if you want to make a foliar spray 0.5% concentrated you have to dissolve 80grams of Urea in your 16L knapsack or 100grams if in 20L and of course avoid applications in midday, better in the afternoon-evening to avoid leaf burn.

Not sure how you grow this crop and what do you sell, but remember that all the legumes can go in symbiosis with the rhizobium bacteria which basically helps them to fix the atmospheric nitrogen into their root nodules for their nutrition. After you harvest, a large amount of fixed nitrogen remains in the soil which helps for future cultivations. But if you apply nitrogen in large quantities, this process is almost stopped as the plants feel less need to run this bacterial symbiosis as they have already the N needed. You can even buy and inoculate your seeds with Rhizobium to speed up the process.
          Anyway, just a thing to keep in mind.

Anonymous
          Inactive
            Up
            Down

Thanks for the reply. I grow the cowpea crop for leaf dishes..it is cooked alone or mixed with slenderleaf..its  big dish here.  Now the urea part is selected for the high N. The formation of N by the roots is advantageous for the next season (estimated at 45 to 70kg per acre). What I need is aggressive vegetative growth with the highest (cheaper) N available. The normal routine is by planting with N-based granular inorganic either DAP or NPK. I prefer to plant without any and add later either as foliar spray or ammonium sulphate so that we can harvest in less than 45 days. we have 2 varieties of the seed one for the long rains while the other for drier periods. I was hoping to increase the plant density and use the highest granular N.

Illia Volha
            Keymaster
              Up
              Down

Hello, it is very important to take into account the Urea – Water relationship that Salvatore mentioned above to avoid burning in the leaves due to excess nitrogen, it would be important that you use background fertilizations or in the first stages of development of the crop so that you increase the area index foliar and avoid nutrient imbalances in the soil.

Anonymous
              Inactive
                Up
                Down

HI Robert, I understand your conditions now. Ok go ahead and continue with what I told you about foliar spray in my previous answer and don’t forget to let us know the results.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Let's save the future together

Our goal is to pass on experience of eco-responsible farming
              to new generations of agronomists to fight climate change together.

Copyright © 2022 I-Plant Nutrition. All rights reserved